Hot, sunny weather is just around the corner. That means it's time to get your home air conditioner in shape. Here's how to get the best out of your A/C this summer, with practical tips on air conditioner maintenance and upgrading your system.
1. Keep your temperature in check. Set your temperature gauge to cool. If you've got it off, check out the settings, and adjust as necessary. Your air conditioner is not a burner or a radiator. It's a pressure vessel. If you set it to anything other than cool, you will end up burning something.
2. Check that your A/Cs filter is clean. The filter will need to be cleaned once a month. Cleaning will ensure your system's efficiency. There are several things a home's filters could be clogged with. If you are unsure about what needs to have been cleaned, ask a technician.
3. Clean air conditioner blower and drain lines. This is a job best left to the pros. It's best left to your professional ac technicians to do, or you will be asked what's in the blower. There is a reason they give you instructions on how to do this. The blower will have water in it. If it's not clean, it will blow all the water out with the air, and it will not be efficient.
4. Check the thermostat. Make sure it's set to cool. You will know this if you find a dent in the thermostat, or it will be slightly warmer than cool. If it's cooler than cool, you will have lost some of your air conditioner cooling capacity. If you've lost some of your ac capacity, you will need air conditioning repairs. If you've lost a large portion, this will require you to replace your air conditioning, not your ac. It is the replacement that has the potential for major repairs if not done correctly.
5. Clean the filter as often as required. There is a removable filter that fits into an area behind the registers. Inexpensive to replace. Removable filters are a good investment.
In summary, air conditioner maintenance is a must if you want to maintain efficient air conditioning systems. It's not cheap to buy new equipment, but your health can be significantly impacted by the lack of such equipment.
Find the Right AC Maintenance Service for Your Needs!
Now that you've got an idea of how to take care of your AC, it's just right to know who to call for if you need some help.